Tell a Friend

Welcome to Kay's Recipes n Stuff!

You are invited to share the joy of cooking. This culinary blog consists not only of my favorite family recipes but also provides delicious insight into my vast collection of hundreds of recipes. I have included some culinary and household hints that I have found to be useful in my own home. It is my sincere hope that you will find this blog to be an invaluable resource. Enjoy your visit and come back often.

Kay's Tip: Kay's Recipes N Stuff is best viewed in Google Chrome.


Pineapple Upside Down Cake


April 20 was National Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day.  I made this cake recipe from Mr. Food.  It is quick and delicious!  In fact, my husband requested this cake for his birthday next  year.  I will definitely make this cake again soon!
Picture by Kay
Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
  • 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple slices, drained
  • 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs

Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans and pour butter evenly over sugar.  In each pan, arrange pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar and place a cherry in center of each slice.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, and eggs; beat until well combined. Evenly divide batter between the two pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of each comes out clean.  Let cakes stand 5 minutes.

Loosen gently with a knife and invert onto 2 platters.  Serve warm, or allow to cool completely before serving.


Kay's Tip:  First, I cut my pineapple slices in half to fit my 8-inch pans.  I put a cherry in each half.  See my photo above.  I used store brand yellow cake mix and a 20-ounce can Libby pineapple slices in natural juice. My cakes baked for 35 minutes.  Be sure to check with a toothpick in center until it comes out clean.  This is a keeper.  Enjoy! 
Older Post Home

Cooking Calculator

Use this handy calculator to convert international measures used in recipes. Simply enter the required value into the input field at the top and then press the appropriate button to perform the calculation.


Go to Top of Page Go to Top of Page

Roasting Chart


Roasting Temperatures

Temperatures are most accurately determined by using an instant thermometer inserted in the meat where indicated and withdrawn to take a reading.
BEEF, in the center not touching
the bone
    130ºF (54ºC) rare
    160ºF (71ºC) medium
    180ºF (82ºC) well done
LAMB, in the center not touching the bone
    140ºF  (60ºC) pink
    145ºF  (63ºC) medium-rare
    165ºF  (74ºC) well done
POULTRY,
chicken, in breast, 170ºF (77ºC)
chicken, in the thigh, 185ºF (85ºC)
duck, in the thigh, 180ºF (82ºC)
PORK AND VEAL, in the center
not touching the bone
    160ºF (71ºC)


Go to Top of Page Go to Top of Page

Nutrition Calculator

Make smart choices about the foods you eat. Quickly lookup nutritional information including calories, fat, carbs, sodium, and more on thousands of foods. I found this neat tool at Wootus.com. Use their new nutrition calculator tool to add up your calories! Yon can browse by food categories, food brands, and restaurants.




Go to Top of Page Go to Top of Page